Popular Posts

About Me

My Photo
@scousebirdprobs
Scouse bird with a vodka dependency and an acute sense of social observation. Always self deprecating, always blunt. Follow me on twitter WARNING: Non-scousers may not understand language of this blog.
View my complete profile
Tuesday 19 November 2013

London - where to drink and eat


Kamique

We tried a little bar/restaurant a couple of minutes’ walk from Leicester Square tube station so right in the middle of a lively touristy part of London.

The bar was packed when we got there (so many tall, handsome men. London’s where they’re hiding them, I’m telling you!) and the music was a mix of standard chart music from the last few years. It would have been great to go for a dance but we were tired from travelling so we just decided to get something to eat in the back restaurant bit.


We all had the 28 day aged steak. It was ok, it wasn’t terrible but it wasn’t the nicest steak any of us had ever tried either. Our first round of cocktails came quickly but the second round we had to wait around 40 minutes for, by which time we’d finished our food, had it cleared away and were just waiting round ready to go. The strawberry mojito I had first was gorgeous but the julep I had to wait for was overpowered by the whiskey in it – not for me.


I think Kamique is better for a drink and dance than for food really.

 

Vapiano

This place is AMAZING. Some of the nicest food I have ever ever tried anywhere. There’s a couple of branches in London (please open in Liverpool, please!), we went to the Great Portland Street one. Don’t do what we did and get off at Great Portland St tube station because it’s about a 10-15 minute walk; Oxford Circus station is much closer.


You can’t book you just have to turn up. Upon arrival you get given a card which you then use to go round the restaurant ordering things; drinks, starters, pizza, pasta etc. You hand them the card back at the end and pay as you leave. It’s good if you want to split a bill because you get given one each.


The restaurant was really busy so the wait for the pasta was quite substantial; the chefs cook it there and then in front of you and completely customise it to you. With the pizza though you can go up and order and they give you a pager which buzzes when your pizza is ready to collect, giving you time to order and eat your starter.


I had the bruschetta to start. All the ingredients, even the pasta, are made fresh on site and you can tell. The food is seriously amazing, the best bruschetta I’ve ever eaten. I had the ‘special’ pizza for the main which was truffle cream, truffles, walnuts & ham. The truffle flavour was really strong but the truffle cream on the pizza was just fantastic – not sure about the walnuts though, I picked them off. If someone told me I could only ever eat there again for the rest of my life I’d be completely fine with that - it's even pretty cheap. About £10ish for a pizza. I’m back in Liverpool now and I’m already craving a Vapiano’s.

 

The Dollhouse

The Dollhouse is an underground club in a Churchyard right by Liverpool St Station (nothing like a bit of blasphemy to make sure your night goes off with a bang) – I have a bit of a penchant for rnb music but unfortunately all the rnb clubs in Liverpool are full of wronguns so I never get to go. Really good music, tables, VIP area (we were not in that) grey goose, the DJ in a cage, what’s not to love? Plus it’s open til 6am which is a bonus (if your mate doesn’t get drunk and have to be carried home at 3 of course).



 

0 comments: